The Nation's Health

Kevin Parker From Tame Impala's Favourite Films

Tame Impala’s

Australian Psychedelic Rock Group — Tame Impala’s

Tis the day for favourite movies it seems! With Australian psychedelic rock group Tame Impala’s debut album due for release on May 21, the lads have been doing the press rounds to promote the highly anticipated work. I spoke to guitarist and vocalist Kevin Parker (above, centre) this afternoon about Innnerspeaker and, alas, his favourite films:

“Wow, there would be so many I just can’t think of them right now. The Neverending Story, have you seen that movie? (MM: Who hasn’t seen that movie?) Yeah, well I loved it and the whole concept and the theme song. I’d love to do a cover of that one day, in fact we might do that soon. Maybe one day we will do an entire covers album, our manager suggested that one time and it would be great. I love sci-fi and I’m a big sucker for special effects and anything that makes me believe I’m actually seeing that. The Lord Of The Rings trilogy and The Matrix trilogy were amazing. There’s this David Lynch film called Eraserhead, it was like a weird dream. And Kill Bill too, Volume 2 especially was really moving."

And there you have it, some really impressive choices there. Parker seems like a pretty awesome guy and he even sung his version of Ghetto Superstar to me over the phone when I asked about various covers. Innerspeaker hits stores on May 21 and although it’s less rock and more bliss than their earlier EP, from the preview copy I listened to it's still wicked.