The Nation's Health

Crispy Tropical Tofu

I can hardly believe that Thanksgiving is this week already! But before we bust out the Turkey recipes quite yet, I have a great tofu recipe to share... for those who like tofu. And for those who have judged but never tried it, give it a chance. I've been experimenting with meatless substitutes for a number of years... just ask my unsuspecting family. ;) I have put black beans in their brownies, no meat in their tacos, garbanzos in their rolls, and tofu in their peanut butter pie (and that was actually a really big hit!). This tofu is a little less camouflaged and tries to take more of a center stage. I initially got the breading idea from a spicy buffalo tofu salad back in Urbana. They unfortunately took it off the menu sometime last spring, but the idea still stuck. My version has little (of no spice) and is baked/broiled instead of fried.

Crispy Tropical Tofu
1/2 can + juice pineapple tidbits (no syrup)1/2 bottle light bodied beer (I used a wildflower variety)2 T low sodium soy sauce2-3 T lemon juice16 oz extra firm tofu1 bag lightly seasoned croutons (ground into crumbs in food processor)
First slice the tofu block into 8-10 slices. Place them on top of layered towels and paper towels in a single layer. Top with more paper towels and other towels. Next I usually lay a couple cutting boards on top and the set heavy books on top to weigh everything down. Leave for 30-60 minutes of until the majority of the excess liquid is removed.
In a separate baking dish, whisk together the pineapple juice, beer, soy sauce, lemon juice and pineapple chunks. Set the tofu slices in the marinade and let sit in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours. Drain off the liquid and coat the tofu slices individually with crouton crumbs like you would if you were battering a piece of chicken or fish. Lay out on a cookie sheet and bake for about 20 minutes flipping half way through. Broil for an additional 3-5 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
Enjoy plain, cut up on a salad, of on a sandwich... I would call that fairly versatile.
Holiday recipes to come!! I'm still trying to decide what to make for Thanksgiving, luckily not hosting this year, so I only need to worry about some type of side or dessert. I'm thinking something pumpkin, is that too obvious?